Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Feminists pose an interesting question. Virginia Woolf's essay "A Room of One's Own" especially the section titled Shakespeare's Sister seeks to answer the question are women given the same opportunities as men? From her essay it seems that women are not, but this was an essay written how many years ago? Is this essay still relevant to our culture? I mean, I had no trouble going to college being a woman. Nobody stopped me or acted like I was committing a social sin.

I think one area where feminism might have some relevance is in the church. Some conservative churches still do not allow women to be ordained pastors. For me this is a little upsetting because I think the church should be a front runner for women's rights and give them the opportunity to lead a church. Afterall, the first people Jesus appeared to after he rose from the dead were the women.

1 comment:

Peter Kerry Powers said...

Ok, Devon. I'm liking what I'm seeing here. You are a little self-deprecating in earlier posts, but you're doing exactly the right thing in these ruminations. I think you're right that the questions feminist theory pose can apply to the church in a variety of ways--how we imagine God, how we image the role of women, who can speak and who can't. Whose allowed to be an authority/author. Etcetera etcetera. These are not literary questions exactly, but they are related to what people like Woolf and Cixous are doing.