Monday, March 31, 2008

Does your education and class distinction affect your tastes? I believe Bourdieu would say yes, and so would I.

Let's face it folks, I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, and when I read some novels or essays (like these highly interesting oh so amazing literary theory essays...) I need some help understanding them. Once I understand them fully, I can learn to appreciate and like them. I can develope a taste for them. This appreciation of mine I fear was made possible only by my educational background. Yeah that's right, if I had decided not to go to college I would not even have known that Marxist literary theory even existed! (Like I said, I'm not the brightest light bulb in the pack).

I think you have to be exposed to something before you can develop a taste for it, and I think a lot of that exposure comes through education. People who do not have access to higher eductation may not be familiar with the works of Flannery O'Connor let alone appreciate them.

No comments: